4.12.04

[Syphilis] In Dreams

I woke up this morning and realized I had dreamt reading an interview with Maxim Shostakovich about his father, the composer Dmitri Shostakovich. I read a lot in my sleep these days — not sure whether it's a time-of-life or a place-of-residence issue. A few months ago I remember reading a beautifully bound book, in Dutch, written by someone whose name I didn't know and have now forgotten, but I googled him as soon as I woke up and he turned out to have been a well-known and well-regarded historian, so I may not know what I know (to paraphrase our current and future Preemptive Defense Secretary), but my taste is indisputable.

Reading in dreams is a relatively new experience for me, although a quick google indicates (from listservs, bulletin boards and blogs) that the phenomenon is apparently widespread, and extends well beyond the abductee community. (I did come up with a wonderful bogey in the search, though, In Dreams. I Walk with Metadata: "Last night I had one of those out-of-the-body dreams, waking up with the feeling that I'd been contacted by some alternative form of intelligence. Looking back in the cold light of day, I realised that this form of intelligence was in fact a parable for standardised metadata, a viral meme with a whiff of the occult about it .... I woke up and remembered that I'm under contract to help produce Parts 1 and 2 of the British Standard for Interoperability Between Metadata Systems Used for Learning, Education and Training.")

In the past, most of my dreamtime involved having conversations with people. most of whom were living. (Post-processing the day's business, I imagine.) Although my therapist in New York urged me to keep a dream diary, I almost never remembered dreaming while I lived in New York.

Before moving to New York, back here in Tennessee, I do recall dreaming more: vivid waking dreams. Nightmares really. People in my bedroom watching me.

And although I think I can often associate colors with objects within a dream, I recall only once dreaming in color, and that was also one of the few sexual dreams I ever recall having: in that particular case, two women making love. But no wet dreams, ever. Just creatures from Fantagor hovering above my bed, drooling green acidy spit.

Wonder what it means?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home